Who we are & what we do
The Parish Council is the closest sector of local government to the community. It has certain powers and duties under the law, and it must serve all residents fairly and equitably, taking into consideration different interests and concerns.
Decisions are made by the corporate Council, not by the clerk or chairman or a separate group of councillors, and are made only at meetings, all of which are open to the public. Sometimes decisions may have to be made between meetings, e.g. in an emergency, by the clerk in concert with the chairman and/or other councillors, but these decisions are always ratified at the next public meeting.
The Council has strong partnership links with Harborough District Council and Leicestershire County Council so we can be involved in decisions that affect the Kibworths. We also have close links with Kibworth Harcourt Parish Council.
Councillors do not receive a salary or an allowance but out-of-pocket expenses are covered. Elections are held every four years when all councillors must be re-elected or stand down. Vacancies arising between elections can be filled by co-option. The council employs a part-time Clerk, a part-time Deputy Clerk, a part-time Grounds-person and a part-time Street Orderly.
Parish Council History:
The 1894 Local Government Act separated secular affairs from those of the church. Previously, a committee, which met in the vestry of the parish church, had oversight of both under the authority of the priest. Kibworth Beauchamp Parish Council was formed in the following year and met in the National School, now the Old School Surgery, on Station Street. From 1901, the Council met in the Village Hall or the Oddfellows Hall on Paget Street, and from 1983 at the Kibworth School. Since 2013, meetings have been held in the Studio at Kibworth Grammar School Hall.
What is a Councillor?
Committees & Working Parties
Our joint boards have specific tasks.